STEPS Network Meeting September 19, 2007
Hosted by Jim Vass and Acock Engineering
Purpose: The South Texas Exploration and Production Safety Network, commonly known as the STEPS Network, promotes safety, health and environmental improvement in the exploration and production of oil and gas in South Texas. The STEPS Network fosters a work environment that relies upon open communication and trust.
Karen Puckett, Texas Department of Insurance – BLS Data and Statistics
Nicole Mode, NIOSH – Who is NOISH and what do they do?
Javier Balderas, Halliburton – Conducting Compliance Audits
- Conduct audits periodically to ensure compliance with OSHA regulatory requirements.
- Train individuals to identify hazards and perform walkthrough inspections of all work areas.
- Log all hazards identified and include the name of the individual assigned responsibility to correct the hazard. Track each hazard until it is corrected.
- For assistance refer to the OSHA Small Business Handbook pages 18-39 for inspection checklists.
- Click here for the Small Business Handbook.
Bobby Baber, BP America Production – Visual Awareness
- Bobby showed a DVD that demonstrates how we miss seeing things when we are focusing on the task at hand or when changes occur slowly.
- The “Surprising Studies of Visual Awareness” DVD can be purchased at http://www.viscog.com/products.html
Glen Ellis, Del Mar College – The Occupational Safety and Health Technology Program
- Del Mar offers an Associates Degree is Occupational Safety and Health Technology to prepare individuals for a career in industry.
- Students are required to perform an internship as part of this program so contact Glen Ellis at 361-698-1714 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.